Portugal | Porto, Aveiro & Coimbra
Explore Portugal: Porto, Aveiro and Coimbra
This offer includes:
- Round trip flights to Porto
- Accommodation at a 3 or 4-star hotel in Coimbra
- Accommodation at a 3 or 4-star hotel in the Aveiro
- Accommodation at a 3 or 4-star hotel in Porto
- Breakfast included, depending on the hotels (please check the information of each hotel)
- Rental car for the entire stay
- Taxes (except City Tourist Tax)
Why we love this deal:
- Visit Porto's extravagant baroque churches and stroll along Ribeira with its picturesque houses and lively atmosphere, explore the cellars of well-known port lodges and taste this exquisite drink, or go on a boat cruise on the Douro River and marvel at its stunning landscape
- Head to Coimbra, home to Portugal's oldest univeristy (est. 1290), and discover the historical landmarks and heritage left by those who built the nation, including the magnificent Joanine Library and the convent of Santa Cruz
- Be transported to another time and place when you visit Aveiro, dubbed "The Venice of Portugal", where you can take a leisurely boat ride along the river in a "moliceiro", dine on fresh seafood and visit the natural salt spa Spa Cale do Oiro.
About the Destination:
The New York Times says: "From its stunning Beaux-Arts station to its cool bars serving Porto's signature drink, this charming city combines the best of old and new." Porto is indeed a city of endless charms that combine a rich history, old buildings covered in colorful azulejos (hand-painted tiles), modern architecture, a picturesque riverfront, and a high-spirited atmosphere that celebrates the joy of life.
Built along the hillsides overlooking the mouth of the Douro river, Porto is a registered UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to the porto wine, produced exclusively on the Douro Valley. With an outstanding urban landscape and a 2,000-year history full of alley-woven medieval design, Porto is the perfect city to wander on foot.
With this deal you will also get to know the amazing central region, known for being chock full of Portugal's storied heritage and history. As you travel across the center of Portugal, you will have the opportunity to visit the beautiful cities of Aveiro and Coimbra.
Situated between the sea and the ria (estuary) and criss-crossed by a network of channels, it is no wonder that Aveiro is often referred to as "The Venice of Portugal". Visitors can cruise the water-filled landscape of Aveiro aboard moliceiros (these slim, colorful boats used to be used by locals to collect algae and seaweed), or hop on a "BUGA" bicycle to cruise the flat streets of the city. Marvel at the beautiful Art Nouveau architecture that marks the city along the main channel. Visit Aveiro's many museums dedicated to its history, art and architecture.
Next, head to Coimbra to visit Portugal's "City of Students". Founded in the 13th century, the University of Coimbra is the oldest in Portugal and one of the oldest in Europe, and is now classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its rich history and beautiful architecture. Visitors can climb the University Tower to hear the bells toll the start and end of classes and appreciate the stunning 360º views of the city below, and stroll the grounds of the university which used to house the palace where the first Kings of Portugal lived when they made Coimbra the first capital of the kingdom. Explore the historic cafes in the city center, take a boat trip along the River Mondego, marvel at the Romanesque style of the local monuments, and visit the city's many beautiful gardens, each with their own unique history and style.