Douro Valley | 4-Star Lamego Hotel & Life
Be dazzled by the Douro Valley with this travel package that includes accommodation at the Lamego Hotel & Life and a wine tasting!
Why we love this deal:
- This travel package takes the stress out of having to plan everything yourself. All you have to do is pack your bags and bring your adventurous spirit;
- You'll stay in the magnificent Lamego Hotel & Life. Enjoy the privileged location of the hotel close to the city center and the Douro river valleys. The dynamics of the river, terraces of vineyards, olive groves, gastronomy, and cultural heritage make Lamego the ideal destination for an escapade or a fabulous holiday in the Alto Douro Vinhateiro;
- Breakfast is included during your stay;
- As soon as you wake up, you will be presented with a superb view of the river and vineyards that make up the iconic landscape of the Douro Valley;
- Included in this deal is a Wine Villages Full-Day Tour: Visit two wine villages in the Douro region and one of the old local bakeries! Taste the delicious Favaios bread and drink the iconic Moscatel. Visit one of the oldest shale villages (Xisto) and have a striking view over the Douro river.
- Explore historic monuments and palaces, like the Mateus Palace, or take a relaxing boat ride along the Douro river in a classic Rabelo, a traditional Portuguese wooden cargo boat that was used for centuries to transport people and goods along the Douro River;
- You can customize your travel itinerary according to your preferences. Options include: adding additional nights to your stay, a car rental, or some other experience to make your itinerary even more unique and special;
- You won't have to worry about anything, as we have taken care of everything for you.
About the Hotel:
The Lamego Hotel & Life is located in Alto do Douro. The only 4-star hotel in this region, the unique establishment is actually located inside a farm and surrounded by 3 hectares of vineyards, olive groves, and gardens. Besides the fabulous view overlooking the Douro Valley, this modern hotel offers 98 rooms and one of the most enviable outdoor pools in the entire region. A stay at the Lamego Hotel & Life is a magical experience not to be missed.
About the Destination:
With three World Heritage Sites recognized by UNESCO, there is no shortage of reasons to visit the Douro Valley, one of the most stunning landscapes in all of Portugal. In the Historic Centre of the city of Porto, you will find remarkable buildings lining the riverbanks. Many of these buildings are directly linked to the production of wine and bear witness to the urban development that this production has provoked over the years. On the opposite bank of the river, you will find the city of Vila Nova de Gaia, a hive of commercial activity with the famous Port wine cellars.
Following the river Douro upstream, you reach the Alto Douro Wine Region. This is a land of traditions, a place of enchantment and mysticism, a great stretch of land where Nature reigns in perfect harmony with the inhabitants that have shaped the valley slopes and organized the land into vineyards. Each of these vineyards can be accessed by winding roads that pattern the landscape. There has been evidence of wine production for more than two thousand years in the region but it was only in 1756 that the Demarcated Douro Region was created and wine production in the region was organized and became internationally recognized.
The course of the Douro river winds through the valley, carving its way through the rock and rushing towards the sea. The construction of dams has made the river navigable and nowadays cruise liners are a common sight. In the wine region, the train follows the Douro river along with the majority of its stretch, giving its passengers a privileged view of the stunning landscape.
In addition to its wine, this region’s fertile soil also yields other plant life in the form of olive trees that produce high-quality olive oil and almond trees that fill the valley with color and perfume in the months of February and March and produce the almonds that are used to make several traditional sweet treats. Farming is common in most villages which results in flavorful dishes made from traditionally cultivated produce.
With the beginning of wine production, the nobility moved to the region, building grand manors and palaces that today open their doors to tourists and visitors. Many of the vineyards that produce the most succulent fruit in the valley are found on the valley slopes and they also offer accommodation to visitors. In the quaint villages, you can also find wonderful examples of rural tourism with a local and unique character.
Despite the changes that the famous Port wine brought to the region, the Douro Valley has maintained its rural character and traditional roots with its handicrafts and religious customs. The Valley is renowned not only for its beauty but also for its friendly inhabitants who work the land and welcome those they find there exploring the region. Stunning landscapes that yield produce and wines of excellence, a unique cuisine rich in homemade products, a history that makes you dream of days gone by and a warm welcome that makes you want to return. These are the reasons to visit the Douro, but living these experiences is much better than listing them. Come and discover the Douro, come and live the experience!