Portugal | Douro Valley Fly & Drive
Discover the Magical Douro Valley
This offer includes:
- Round trip flights to Porto
- Accommodation at Douro 41 Hotel & Spa
- Rental car for the entire stay.
Why we love this deal:
- Head north to explore the stunning Douro Valley (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) stopping at the many "Quintas", wineries, orchards and vineyards along the way tasting the Port and DOC Douro wines, olive oil, almonds and honey that are produced in the region
- Take a leisurely drive into Pinhão and cross the Douro river towards Peso da Régua to take in the breathtaking 360° views of the landscape, often considered one of the most beautiful roadways not only in Portugal, but in the world, as it sits right alongside the riverbed so you’re at the same level as the water
- Explore historic monuments and palaces, like the Mateus Palace, or take a relaxing boat ride along the Douro river in a classic Rabelo, a traditional Portuguese wooden cargo boat that was used for centuries to transport people and goods along the Douro River
About the Destination:
With three World Heritage Sites recognised by UNESCO, there is no shortage of reasons to visit the Douro Valley, one of the most stunning landscapes in all of Portugal. In the Historic Centre of the city of Porto you will find remarkable buildings lining the riverbanks. Many of these buildings are directly linked to the production of wine and bear witness to the urban development that this production has provoked over the years. On the opposite bank of the river you will find the city of Vila Nova de Gaia, a hive of commercial activity with the famous Port wine cellars.
Following the river Douro upstream, you reach the Alto Douro Wine Region. This is a land of traditions, a place of enchantment and mysticism, a great stretch of land where Nature reigns in perfect harmony with the inhabitants that have shaped the valley slopes and organized the land into vineyards. Each of these vineyards can be accessed by winding roads that pattern the landscape. There has been evidence of wine production for more than two thousand years in the region but it was only in 1756 that the Demarcated Douro Region was created and wine production in the region was organized and became internationally recognized.
The course of the Douro river winds through the valley, carving its way through the rock and rushing towards the sea. The construction of dams has made the river navigable and nowadays cruise liners are a common sight. In the wine region, the train follows the Douro river along the majority of its stretch, giving its passengers a privileged view of the stunning landscape.
In addition to its wine, this region’s fertile soil also yields other plant life in the form of olive trees that produce high quality olive oil and almond trees that fill the valley with colour and perfume in the months of February and March and produce the almonds that are used to make several traditional sweet treats. Farming is common in most villages which results in flavorful dishes made from traditionally cultivated produce.
With the beginning of wine production, the nobility moved to the region, building grand manors and palaces that today open their doors to tourists and visitors. Many of the vineyards that produce the most succulent fruit in the valley are found on the valley slopes and they also offer accommodation to visitors. In the quaint villages you can also find wonderful examples of rural tourism with a local and unique character.
Despite the changes that the famous Port wine brought to the region, the Douro Valley has maintained its rural character and traditional roots with its handicrafts and religious customs. The Valley is renowned not only for its beauty but also for its friendly inhabitants who work the land and welcome those they find there exploring the region. Stunning landscapes that yield produce and wines of excellence, a unique cuisine rich in homemade products, a history that makes you dream of days gone by and a warm welcome that makes you want to return. These are the reasons to visit Douro, but living these experiences is much better than listing them. Come and discover Douro, come and live the experience!Show more
- The flights included are subject to live availability and prices can change. You can choose your preferred departure times during the booking process. Please select your flight options carefully as departure and arrival airports may differ.
- Included baggage allowance varies by carrier. Please check what's included during the flight selection portion of your booking.
- Infants: If you're traveling with an infant under 2 years old, please contact us within 24 hours of booking your trip. (Cost per infant is $150.)
- Check-in time for most hotels is at 2:00pm; Check-out is typically at 12:00pm. Please verify the check-in/check-out times for your selected accommodation at time of booking
- One rental car is included in this package for the entire stay; Pick-up & drop-off will be at the airport
Please note that this promotional offer is nonrefundable.
Nonrefundable special price packages:
Once the payment is made, the reservation cannot be canceled. No refund in case of cancellation or no-show. Any and all changes made to the reservation after the airplane tickets have been issued are subject to a penalty fee to be communicated at the time the alterations are requested.
All prices include airfare, fuel surcharges, airport taxes and fees. All prices are per person, based on double/twin occupancy. Single travelers must pay an extra fee.
Air & land tour prices apply from the gateway airport or city specified in the Package Highlights. Prices will vary from alternative gateway airports or cities and may be higher.
The total price will be clearly displayed prior to any deposit being required. Should the hotel mentioned in the deal not be available for the dates in question, the company will make the reservation for another hotel of the same category and let you know immediately of the change.
Important disclaimer information:
Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
The amount to be charged by Portugal Getaways does not include any fees or commissions that may be applied by the client's bank to process the payment(s).
The optional cost(s) of upgrades and add-ons for additional services (airline, rental car, or others) are at the discretion of the client to select during the booking process and are not included in the final package cost unless specifically stated in the description (eg: additional luggage, transfers, drivers, extra insurance, or other).
Clients are responsible for ensuring the correct entry of personal data of the passenger(s) when booking flights or they will be subject to additional fees for any corrections at the discretion of the airline.
Any additional tourist or municipal taxes imposed by each individual destination in a booking are not included and must be paid directly at the accommodation; Clients are strongly urged to research any possible applicable taxes prior to travel.
When you purchase your ticket, you agree to the following rules and restrictions:
NON-TRANSFERABILITY OF TICKET
Tickets issued via Portugal Getaways are non-transferable and can only be used by the person whose name is indicated on the ticket. Valid proof of identity must be presented whenever required upon check-in. If it is found that the person presenting the ticket is not the same person named as passenger in the ticket or if such person is unable to satisfactorily prove that he/she is the same person named in the ticket, then the Carrier shall refuse carriage to such person and reserves the right to retain and confiscate the ticket so presented.
NON-REFUNDABILITY OF TICKET
Please assume that the fare is non-refundable and any change or cancellation will result in full forfeiture of the value of the ticket with no refund or credit available. Rules and restrictions as imposed by the airline(s) will be applicable to your fare should you need to change or cancel your flight(s).
Portugal Getaways issues airfare in partnership with affiliate airlines via their departing cities only. Portugal Getaways does not provide through-ticket or connecting flight services, and as such, can not be held responsible for connecting flight delays or cancellations that are issued through unaffiliated providers. Customers are responsible for any fees or additional charges that may be incurred as a result of a missed or changed flight. Portugal Getaways has no liability and will make no refund in the event of any delay, cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or other such causes, and holds no responsibility for any additional expenses, omissions, delays, re-routing or acts of any government or authority.
TRAVEL & BOOKING RECOMMENDATIONS:
When booking your itinerary, be sure to arrange connections with a sufficient window of time between flights to allow for any cancellations or delays due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. For customers who require a connecting flight to reach one of Portugal Getaways' departing cities, we recommend booking flights with a layover of at least 6 hours between connections.
The passenger is required to arrive at Carrier's check-in location sufficiently in advance of the indicated flight departure time to permit completion of any government formalities and departure procedures and in any event not later than the time that may be indicated by the Carrier. If the passenger fails to arrive on time at Carrier's check-in counter or boarding gate (even if the passenger has already checked-in for the flight), Carrier may cancel the space reserved for the passenger. Carrier is not liable to the passenger for loss or expense due to the passenger's failure to comply with these provisions.
Get to the airport as early as possible to allow time for check-in, baggage check and security. Some airports require a longer minimum check-in time before scheduled departure, depending on your trip. If you’re traveling on another airline, their check-in times apply.
Recommended Arrival Times:
- Intercontinental Flights: 3 Hours prior to departure
- International (Short/Medium Distance Travel): 2 Hours prior to departure
- Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel. Passport required for international flights.
- TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.
- For more detailed information and tips, please refer to this helpful Traveler's Checklist provided by the U.S. Government - Department of State.